Thursday, December 22, 2016

Cliches and Fate

You know that cliché, you find something when you're not looking for it? Well, that sure has happened to me. I found Jake, or he found me...or we found each other. I'm not quite sure. Haha!

It started over a year ago when we met on Plenty of Fish. He had asked me out on a date and we had a pretty good time. I could tell he was very shy and reserved and wasn't my typical type but I had no doubt that he was a good guy and I wanted to get to know him more. We hung out here and there when both of our schedules permitted it. He had a crazy work schedule and we both had kids so it made seeing each other difficult. There was just something about him that hooked me in. I was very intrigued by him and I was always left with the feeling of wanting to know him more. But then I was also seeing Matt and he checked more things off of my "list" and when he wanted to start dating exclusively I told Jake what was going on and that I wouldn't be able to see him anymore. He said that if things didn't work out with Matt then to let him know. After my ghosting fiascos and swearing off men, I didn't end up contacting him. 

It was in the month of March that I just happened to run into him at Smiths. I was so happy to see him! We chatted for a little bit and I learned that he was about to start a new job. About a month after our run in I text him and asked him how the job was going. And in May he text me and finally asked me if I was still with "that guy". It was good timing that he text that day because my kids were with their dad and I had a whole evening wide open. We ended up going to dinner and had a good night of catching up. I told him where I was at with dating and that I didn't want to get serious. He was okay with that and said he understood and that he enjoys my company and would still like to see me when he could no matter what. Again, seeing each other was a challenge because I hadn't met his kids and he hadn't met mine so finding a time when we were both free was quite the problem. I made the decision that I wanted him to meet my kids. I knew I could trust him and I also knew that despite what happened, whether we started dating exclusively or not, he would be in my life.

So with that challenge out of the way we were able to see each other a lot more frequently. During this time I also kept my walls up because he really was my opposite and I had some reservations of starting an exclusive relationship with him. There were some hard challenges that life presented and we were there for each other during those times. Our bond and relationship only got stronger. I felt completely comfortable around him. I could be 100%  myself without fear of judgement or criticism and I could be completely honest and open with him. I had never felt that way in a relationship before. It felt amazing that he liked me for everything that I was and everything that I wasn't. I also realized that things felt different because I was already so happy in my life before him. I was happy with who I was and with myself. He just added upon my happiness...and he added a lot of it. We decided to make thing exclusive and we were both happy and very excited about it.

We're going on strong for five months now and things are great! We're taking things slow (which is a new but good thing for me) and not stressing too much on what the future will be like but we're focused on our relationship now and making it better day by day. He is so good, kind, thoughtful, handsome, funny, humble, great with my kids...I could go on but I'll spare you ;) Let's just say that he's everything I didn't know that I wanted or needed. I am so happy that all those months ago fate stepped in at the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment